Wednesday, July 14, 2010

SUNGLASSES - Designer Shades worth buying???


Summer is hot as usual. Started looking for a new shades this year. Was bit confused in a brand, whether to go with Ray-Ban or Bulgari. So I keep on comparing both of the brands. But asked myself whether expensive brands worth it to the cost? And how much better are they, really, than the 20$-30$ sunglasses which we could find in local shops....

When I read an article written by "Brett Arends", I was shocked... Because most of the sunglasses are made by the same company called: Luxottica Italian manufacturer – one of the biggest consumer companies that consumers have never heard of. Luxottica also makes sunglasses branded Burberry, Chanel, Polo Ralph Lauren, Paul Smith, Stella McCartney, Tiffany, Versace, Vogue, Persol, Miu Miu, Tory Burch and Donna Karan.

Luxottica also owns LensCrafters, Pearle Vision and Sunglass Hut. This is extreme vertical integration. The sales people helping you choose them and the people who design and make the glasses all work for the same company. Make of it what you will.

If you make your shades last for many years, that would be one thing. But who does that? The people who want designer items want the latest fashion each year. And then there are the pairs that get lost. Scratched as mostly as I do . And sat on. Personally, I have come to consider sunglasses a disposable item, and I suspect I am not alone. But who care dollars when its in the pocket till the next payment of credit card bill.






No comments:

Post a Comment